Translation Memory – there are so many different software programs or tools that we use every day in order to make our job easier. In the translation industry, when we have a lot of materials to translate in a short amount of time, these tools guarantee the quality of our work.
Translation Memory (TM) is one of the tools we use and it is extremely valuable, especially when big projects are involved, where there isn’t any room for errors.
How it works
It’s pretty simple actually. Let’s say that one of our translators has to translate a document from English to Polish and the original documents contain the phrase “We have ten years of experience in engineering”. The translated version of this segment will now be stored in the translation memory.
Now, every time that exact phrase will come up in a source file that needs to be translated, the software will know how to automatically translate it.
By translating more and more materials, we will grow our translation memory and we will be able to make our translators’ job much easier.
The advantages of using translation memory
- It is cost-efficient. For the clients, of course. The translators don’t have to waste time translating phrases that have been done before. Clients who constantly use translation services can save up to 30%.
- It’s time-efficient. Because parts of the documents that need to be translated already exist, translators won’t have to spend any extra time doing what has already been done.
- Increases the workflow. One of the reasons we like using TM software is because we can translate more materials in a convenient amount of time. This is not only good news for us, but for our clients as well.
- Reduces human error. Inevitably, when a person has a lot of work on their hands, they can make mistakes. But the translation memory minimizes their workflow. Therefore, they will deliver translations of higher quality.
- Consistency in translations. Even if different translators will work with documents that have a few phrases that match, the style and tone of the translation will be the same thanks to the translation memory.
In what type of situations does translation memory pay off?
TM works very well when technical materials need to be translated. It shines when a phrase can have one meaning and it’s also very efficient to use when there are many phrases that are used several times throughout the materials.
For example, when a client needs to translate a user manual that has just been updated, a big part of the content will be the same as it was in the last year’s manual. There will most likely be some minor changes or other models that have been released.
Work with us to get quality translations
Aside from CAT Tools, TM is the second best thing that recommends us. If you want accurate translations that will help you expand your company on various markets, then contact us to see what we can do for you.
Our translators do amazing work because they translate in their native language. Get your free quote today to test out the quality of our work.